For the fried green tomatoes:
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a bit of heat)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the sandwich:
- 4 hamburger buns or sandwich rolls
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 4 slices of cheese (American or your favorite type)
- 8-12 dill pickle slices
- Chick-fil-A sauce (store-bought or homemade) for spreading
- Prepare the tomatoes: In a shallow dish, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish. Dip each tomato slice into the buttermilk and then dredge it in the flour mixture, making sure to coat both sides thoroughly.
- Fry the tomatoes: In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the coated tomato slices in a single layer. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove the fried green tomatoes and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Assemble the sandwich: Toast the hamburger buns or sandwich rolls if desired. Spread Chick-fil-A sauce on the bottom half of each bun. Place a lettuce leaf on top of the sauce, followed by 2-3 fried green tomato slices. Add a slice of cheese on top of the tomatoes, and then layer on the dill pickle slices.
- Complete the sandwich: Place the top half of the bun on the sandwich and gently press it down to hold everything together.
- Serve and enjoy: Your Chick-fil-A inspired Fried Green Tomato Sandwich is ready to be served! You can pair it with your favorite side dishes like waffle fries or coleslaw for a complete meal.
Note: Chick-fil-A sauce is a tangy and sweet mayonnaise-based sauce with hints of honey mustard and barbecue flavors. You can find similar recipes online, or you can use your preferred dipping sauce or condiment for this sandwich. Enjoy!