- 4 pieces of cube steak (tenderized round steak)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a bit of heat)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil (enough for frying)
- Set up a dredging station: In one shallow dish, combine half of the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using). In another dish, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Place the remaining half of the flour in a third dish.
- Season the cube steaks: Pat the cube steaks dry with paper towels. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and black pepper on both sides of each steak.
- Dredge the steaks: Dip each steak into the flour mixture on both sides, shaking off any excess. Then dip the steak into the buttermilk-egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off. Finally, dredge the steak again in the flour mixture, pressing the flour onto the steak to adhere.
- Heat the oil: In a large skillet, add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 inch of oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F (175°C).
- Fry the steaks: Carefully place the coated steaks into the hot oil. Fry for about 3-4 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and crispy. Don’t overcrowd the pan; you may need to cook the steaks in batches.
- Drain excess oil: Once the steaks are cooked, remove them from the skillet and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve: Chicken Fried Steaks are traditionally served with creamy country gravy, mashed potatoes, and a side of vegetables.
Optional: To make a simple country gravy, use the pan drippings from frying the steaks. Add a few tablespoons of the leftover flour mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until it turns golden brown. Gradually whisk in milk until the desired consistency is reached, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Golden and crunchy on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside – that’s the magic of Chicken Fried Steak.
Enjoy your delicious Chicken Fried Steaks!